I publish a design system (DS) to the Community and have frequent updates to fix issues and add/update components.
Community members duplicate this DS to their Organizational account to use in projects. They have reported to me that once they import the Figma file into their org and use it as a library they have no way of getting the updates easily and without breaking changes into their production design files that refer to the original duplicated file.
So is there a way to publish “get latest” or “subscribe to changes” in a community file. In other words is there a way to branch to/from a Community file?
If not would this work:
- Duplicate file A to local Organization and use as library in a project;
- Duplicate file B to local organization (Updated version of A);
- Create branch of File A then Copy/paste all of File B into that branch (<–scary part as it may create links to file B I have no idea how to remove AND I may lose my Type and Color Style)
- Merge branch with all changes back into main branch of file A
- Publish updates to library
Is there some other smarter way to get changes without “breaking” ongoing projects using previous iterations of community files?