How can I automate my files backup (locally)?

So in light of the outage last week where for a full hour Figma was not available, I became anxious about my files.

I started backing up each of them, but that Is tedious. I couldn’t find any plugin to do so automatically but I might have missed it. Or maybe there is another way to easily make local copies of your work. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?
thanks.

3 Likes

There is no way to save all the projects locally and native in Figma.

Maybe you can write a script to open each project and save as .fig file or a task automater. Idk how libraries will behave.

There is one more thing, even if you make local copies, if fipocalypse (apocalypse of figma :face_with_hand_over_mouth:), figma cannot be used offline.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, it kinda makes everything a bit fragile.
The one thing I don’t understand is about using Figma offline. Take for example Google docs where they allow you to create new docs even offline. I’ve already sent a product request but it’s probably not a high priority to most users.
From my standpoint being offline is a big issue

1 Like

Actually, I believe this was the most requested feature in the past. This is an assumption based on people discussion from spectrum, twitter, slack.

I don’t know why this feature was not prioritized by figma, but, again, I assume that is about “Gain vs Effort”.

4 Likes

You might wanna checkout our Figma backup tool: Magicul Backup - Store & Backup Figma designs as Sketch, XD or Figma files.

2 Likes

Hey @Kevin3 we are using it but I’m starting to rethink how useful it is. Do you use it too?

Hi Asaf, I’m a bit biased its our product that we’ve built. But our customers do find it quite useful for piece of mind and do avoid a vendor lock-in.

My company hesitate to switch from Xd to Figma because of automated local backup not implemented. Such a shame !

Hi everyone !
Actually you have the answer over here ! https://help.figma.com/hc/fr/articles/360040028114-Guide-des-exportations-dans-Figma

Tip! Save your designs as a .fig file to export the entire Figma file. This will not include the comments, version history or permissions of the original file. You can only open .fig files using Figma.

Click to open the menu.
Select File > Save Local Copy.
Figma will download a copy of the file to your downloads folder.