Frames & auto-layout hijack container shapes, making it impossible to go back without rebuilding the container

Say I make a container with a header, photo, and text in it. The container is a white box with rounded corners and a dropshadow. I then group the layers to create a single block.

Then, for whatever reason, I apply “auto-layout” to the group.

Now, my container’s settings have been applied to the frame created when I set “auto-layout.” If I were to turn off auto-layout, I lose my container and have to rebuild again.

This essentially makes frames and auto-layout destructive, which isn’t particularly desirable behavior. It makes me hesitate to use auto-layout, which is a bummer because it’s an absolutely killer tool with so many awesome, practical purposes.

(Note that there’s a chance I’m just not finding the conversations for how to save that container (changing from frame to group and flattening both result in a missing container, still). If that’s the case I’d be very excited to hear a workable solution that I’ve missed.)

Thank you!

Unfortunately looks like you can’t edit a post. I’d like to just summarize by saying it would be great if auto-layout and frames didn’t hijack your container shape settings, making it seemingly impossible to go back once you’ve applied them.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.