LAUNCHED: Embed videos

It would be great to be able to embed videos into Figma designs.

3 possible ways would be:

1. Upload a video (.mp4, .webm, .ogg)
  2. YouTube
  3. Vimeo

The lack of this feature is holding back more of my team from using Figma. With video there’d be more users on this awesome design platform.

33 Likes

youtube and vimeo already works. What’s missing is taking timestamp parameter into account.

figma is not a video hosting service :slight_smile:
normally you can host video elsewhere and point to it through iframe. Problem is I remark some iframes did work and now don’t work anymore Embed Regression ? I can't embed some iframe anymore :frowning:

I’m in agreement here. To be able to embed videos would be a big help – or embed a link and have it resolve to play in Figma.

We use videos a lot to help explain the process, design ideas and share thoughts.

Being able to include this directly into the designs/analysis would be perfect.

Video notes are very popular these days.

5 Likes

I can’t switch my team from Adobe Xd to Figma because of this. The extermly complicated way to add video in Xd : drag and drop.
Nowadays, all websites have videos. Try to find an high-end trademark website without embedded video…
So that means that you can’t use Figma for working on website?
The autolayout is so good, what a waste…
I’m really mad…

6 Likes

Video would be such a great help in using Figma as presentation tool. Gif’s are not very efficient and the fan just goes beserk whenever I use a gif.

We use lot of video prototypes to communicate concepts and it is a bummer that we can’t do videos, though Figma is built for the browser / web.

3 Likes

+1 for this feature. would be extremely useful, especially for prototyping. Uploading natively to figma and/or embedding from third party platforms would be my preference. Thanks!

I recently switched from Keynote to Figma for presentation design and would absolutely LOVE if Figma offered this feature. In Keynote you can easily drag and drop a video file like mp4 or m4v into the presentation and resize it. You can’t do that in Figma and the only workaround of using a gif is clunky, and also lacks audio.

At my agency, we like to layer user research video clips alongside new feature designs for client presentations, so the ability to add video with audio to a presentation built in Figma would allow us to have the designs and final slide deck in the same place.

Please build this feature so I never have to use Keynote again and can just use Figma all day.

4 Likes

+1
I agree, I was recently designing a movement-centered website, and really wanted to show this vibe through a video playing in the background of landing page. Using gifs (even shortened to a few seconds) significantly deteriorated the quality and the viewing experience, so it’s not ideal while presenting the design idea to someone.

+1 The majority of prototyping tools support this. Aside from making the Figma prototype feel even more realistic, this capability would also enable interesting hacks - for example playing a video of form fields being filled or typed in. Who knows what else!

I was hoping for this announcement at Config and am bummed it has not happened yet.

2 Likes

+1
Figma desperately needs to include video embeds! We’re on working on a video streaming app, and want to test Figma prototypes with actual users, and that feels incomplete without a video embed.

Linking to YouTube is a broken experience sadly! The Figma prototype crashes when you come back to it after watching a video on the YouTube app :\

1 Like

We really, really need this feature. We have a largely WFH creative and UX team, and we need a centralised place where our creative and UX development can house everything. The inability to add video for animatics is a problem for us.

We’re testing Figma for presentations due to the animation tools, but we need to add video clips for a full experience. It would be great to be able to add videos running in the background or through masks with Figma text and graphics animating in.

+1 on this… we have a large team that wants to adopt Figma but we are building content-heavy apps and need to be able to display that content in Figma. This is a non-starter for us unless the Figma team can bring something in.

We are working on landing pages for our website. Having a video embedded inside the prototype helps us to test the design holistically with the users. An option to include video or show video linked to youtube will be very helpful.

1 Like

Count me in! I have been trying to embed videos using existing plugins but there’s basically no option to have a video play within a Figma prototype. This is quite essential for my team in order to test the product we work on with real users. Would love to see this feature available in Figma.

1 Like

Much needed in prototypes to play either from local file or url. XD has it!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Big +1 on this one. I love Figma to bits, and I appreciate this is not trivial to implement well, but the limitation has on several occasions slowed down our design+implementation process.

To simplify, it’d be workable if the videos need to be hosted elsewhere (Dropbox for example) and of course to only play them inline during preview.

+1 for this feature! Would be so amazing to have this feature for prototyping!

I sometimes use video files for UI animation and also for gif-like functionality (because its much smaller file size than gif).
Vimeo and Youtube embed is not right for this, because it shows the controls. I just want the animation without play/stop/pause etc buttons

1 Like