Does anyone know how to solve the "publishing failed" error?

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I was having this problem YET AGAIN today, but after reading your comment I realised that I was indeed signed into a different account than the one that owns the offending library file.
As a freelancer, I often have a few accounts running at the same time and can switch back and forth between working on different projects during the course of the day. Figma, if you’re listening, solving this problem could be a big help to people like me!

3 Likes

Mirren is right! That is exactly the problem I was having. I have a couple of Figma accounts and you need to make sure that you are switched to the right account for editor permissions on the library for it to sync. I was getting so frustrated and looking for corruptions in the design system. But turns out it was just me being stupid!

Would be good if Figma prompted you to this and told you to switch accounts when this was the issue. Very easy thing to accidentally do!

Publishing via Chrome browser instead of the Mac app solves it every time for me.

Wish I knew the cause of it though. Sometimes it works in the Mac app, sometimes it doesn’t. Going to Chrome and publishing there fixes it for me.

2 Likes

I can confirm that this worked for me.

Previously I had given up trying, and the next day it was all fine. But today I needed the library to be published and Chrome came through.

For me a particular variant that I changed in a component seemed to be the cause of the issue…

MY CASE:
Cause: Editing and replacing a variant
Steps that solved it for me:

1. I decoupled the variants by dragging them out of the ‘variants frame’,
  2. Published the library with those components (that were variants before), then
  3. I selected those components again and made them variants,
  4. After this I was able to publish the library without issues!

This was a micro library with just a couple of components and just 2-level nesting (variant of tabs in a header in a template), just fyi.

3 Likes

I was able to fix the problem with Muhammad’s solve!

My version of the solve:

1. select all variants inside a component
  2. drag them outside of the component so they become individual components
  3. combine all as variants (again)
  4. rename the properties (because you’ll lose them when you do this)
  5. republish

Thank you!!! This worked for me. This was driving me crazy. Zac’s steps above are a life saver.

Happened to me for the first time today and the reason was because I was connected to the wrong account on my list (I regularly switch between my business and private account). When I switched back to my other account it worked fine :ok_hand:
Took me a while to realise it tho :sweat_smile:

1 Like

awesome this works!

1 Like

This was the issue for me too :sweat_smile: Thanks!

We have noticed this was a memory issue, we got it to work by splitting out our library and publishing it solved the issue as the original file was too big to publish.

This suggestion, with a combination of finding the corrupted component - removing all instances, and recreating the component - fixed it for me. Thanks!!

I have the same problem!

Experiencing the same problem here in the Mac app today.

My exact problem!
Icon library color edit. Now Figma pukes after 45 minutes attempting to publish.

If they won’t fix it the way you (Berkay) suggested then at least breakdown the publish packets to manageable bite sizes (Or bytes lol) from client side. AND pre check! Offer a solution before puking 45 minutes after a publish attempt. Selecting a few at a time to publish is not working either!

I don’t care if I have to publish 50 at a time at this point. I’m irritated beyond words right now. I have now lost one and a half days of productivity from the stupid icon color edit!

Figma, Please stop displacing blame and buck up. Just admit the poor implementation of publishing and merging, apologize, and Fix it.

I am finally seeing an exit back to Sketch because of publishing issues and merging headaches. Catch your market back.

Choosing to publish subsets at a time worked for me when trying to publish all changes at once was failing.

Publishing by subsets will eventually work and help you to find out which subset is giving you problems. In my case, the publishing was failing because of the Paragraph styles. After inspecting everything the error was related to an update of a Paragraph Style I previously deleted so I unticked that box and all worked fine. :ghost:

I have been experiencing this issue since June of 2022. It is super frustrating. The only solution is to publish 5 to 10 components at a time. This means publishing updates to 100 components takes me approximately 30 or more minutes each time as I need to batch updates into clumps of 10 with each batch taking between 2 to 5 minutes. Really expected them to resolve this by now.

Hey @Zoshua_Colah1,

There are a number of reasons publishing can fail, with the most common being that you may be running out of memory while publishing due to too many components in the Library, if there are empty Styles being published, or if one of the layers used in the file is corrupted in some way.

We’re glad that publishing updates in small batches works as a workaround, as this is usually the best solution.

If small batches aren’t working, please reach out to the support team directly via this form for help: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Please use your Figma account email, include a link to the file, and share it with support-share@figma.com so they can take a closer look.

Hey guys! I was having the same problem in the browser (Chrome). I even redesigned the two new components I wanted to publish and nothing happened. Same error: “Can’t publish while offline.” Tired of trying different things, I tried the last one: using the Figma App for MacOS. It worked! I could publish the new components to my library. I don’t know if this could help someone so I decided to comment my experience. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like