Create Folders/Categories/Tags for files

It would be extremely helpful if we had the ability to add sections within projects. It’s nice that we have the option to sort project files alphabetically, but we often have several sub-projects and it would be great to be able to bucket relevant sub-project files together.

8 Likes

I want to add to this suggestion (don’t forget to click “vote” btw) that Figma’s terminology makes it very confusing to talk about “projects” in Figma. Often when someone asks a question in the community I have to spend extra time clarifying whether they mean “project = file” or “project = folder”. So my suggestion is to rename Projects in teams to Folders. Not everyone uses them for separate projects in their workflow anyway, they have different uses, just like the abstract “folder” concept.

45 Likes

I agree to “Folder” for better understanding

9 Likes

I imagine that the easiest way to approach this functionality is to right click outside of all files and a menu appears with the option “Create folder” and it creates a folder with the empty name ready to edit at the beginning of all files.

Then it would be to use a drag & drop system to introduce the projects into that folder.

4 Likes

It would be great to allow us to sort files accross tags or in the same background color ghost folder.

It becomes a lot messy and a nightmare to find all the work draft we do. Even more with the Figjam that make us to create multi-file for the same project

@Gleb I definitely agree that the term “project” is confusing when it is basically a limited folder. This is not something that is unique to Figma and should just follow established convention with “folder”.

2 Likes

Hopefully this helps illustrate another use case: Within our organization we have multiple clients (we’ve been assigning these clients as individual projects in our “Projects” folder) and are often working with any number of business lines for that client on multiple products and with different stakeholder groups, different internal teams, etc., plus each engagement can have multiple phases within each project. Basically, what it comes down to is it isn’t as easy as saying, “Just have one Figma file per business line per client”.

As you can imagine, when we have several different Figma and FigJam files it can get pretty chaotic within an individual “Project”.

3 Likes

I love the idea of tags and folders. There are places for both. And yes, both in Draft and Projects.

2 Likes

Hello!
During our work a large team of designers create hundreds of drafts and templates on different categories (landing pages, cases, presentations, logos etc.) & it is very hard sometimes to find what you need in the large list of drafts or team projects. We will be very grateful if you could make a possibility to create folders or category-list/tabs on Drafts/Team Projects pages!
Sincerely, BYYD.me team

2 Likes

I’m getting to the point where my projects have a lot of files within it and they’re kind of hard to manage. Can we get some foldering capabilities so we can have sub groups of files?

8 Likes

Hi,

Fairly straightforward feature request; would really like the inclusion of subfolders in Projects to help with file organisation. Currently I either have a large number of files in one project which can be cumbersome to navigate (am aware of the search function etc), or have to set up a lot of projects which can also get a bit cluttered. Again, I’m aware of the current feature of favouriting projects so only they display in the sidenav but these are already constantly growing in number! :slight_smile:

If I could create subfolders for product features as children of main product modules that would make the overall organisation of the files simpler and tidier.

Thanks!
Graham

3 Likes

I’ve created a visual example of how nested tags could be used in a new file browsing experience.

Note that Nested Tags act both like folders and tagging at the same time, without the pitfalls of actually using them separately.

So files and tags can be shared across hierarchies (legacy folders) because that’s what real projects do. They’re adaptable to any kind of organization structure(s), instead of being locked into a linear hierarchy. I’ve seen too many fileshare subfolder mazes (especially with empty folders) to want that mess repeated in Figma.

Nestable groupings could be based on anything (again at the same time):

• client, audience, persona
  • project hierarchies (initiative, epic, feature, story, task)
  • company structure (team, group, employee)
  • phase, stage, difficulty, completion
  • activity type (design, discussion, test, charrette)
  • favorite, pin, star

Beyond accurately organizing, you can simultaneously managing multiple organizations schemes that are important to different people. One person’s method can be applied without disrupting another person’s different method.

9 Likes

As already said by most, being able to create folders in drafts would be a great start.

next: tagging projects and being able to search these tags in the input form.

Sub folders inside of projects (or folders) would be hugely helpful for large enterprise companies who have 1 figma account for the entire company consisting of dozens of business units, hundreds of editors, and thousands of viewers.

At a top level a business unit gobbles up a team space which means we have a project (folder) for each of our products but then loose the ability to create great categorizing and organizing from there.

Our designers want a messy space to do research and exploration that isn’t quite ready to begin a branch off of a product file yet. All of these files and no good way to archive or organize them means these projects get really busy really fast.

2 Likes

+1

In large Projects with high amount of different files it would be great if you can create files, tags, headlines (like in Zeplin) to sort the files a little.

As designers we all have multiple projects in Figma. Some of us have so many projects that we would like to be able to group them together. This is why we need to be able to group the drafts in different folders so that we have everything in order and be able to access each category without having to waste time looking for each of the projects. This would save us time and space and in turn, have everything perfectly organized.
In short, we want to create folders without limit and be able to change the color of each.

:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I wholeheartedly support you in this case!

1 Like

I’m working with a complex team setting and a design file can relate to many different teams. However, when I need to sort for all files that related to some specific team it’s almost impossible since the file would be all over in different projects/folders. So I wish we also have tag system that we can use to tag and sort the file.

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

Our design org. at my company has hundreds of designers spread out across the globe. This means I can be in dozens of meetings throughout the week, all with multiple Figma files. I realize there is a common organization scheme, but I would like to have a personalized file organization experience where I can group files from specific meetings that all have a relationship (to a specific meeting) into a folder. Meetings may also contain project files. I don’t want to change someone else’s project folder structure, I want the ability to create my own and include a collection of project files, or only specific ones from a project.

I would also like the ability to “star” or favorite files temporarily that may rise to the top for priority tasks for the week that need my input.

1. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)

I do not currently have any screenshots or mocks of how this would work, but if someone else with a similar need had some time to make this happen, that would be great! I just don’t have the time at the moment (see above).

1. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation
    (e.g. Does anyone else experience this? Is anyone using a plugin or workaround to help solve this?, etc.

I just want to be able to categorize my pages into folders or layers, as illustrated on my current project (red squares being the “parents” and red lines being the “children”):

Tags could be useful as well. One solution doesn’t need to exclude the other =)

3 Likes