Connectors as default (instead of new object)

When I’m connecting objects, I often want to connect lots of objects. Seems like there are simple ways to add new objects (drag from toolbar), but no immediate way to add multiple connectors. Rather than the “+” next to an object that creates a new object, I would much rather that be a “new connector” interaction.

So happy to see real connectors (can’t wait for them in Figma proper).

7 Likes

agree, or even if the “+” was contextual based upon what tool I had previously used. If I just added a new shape or object, do that. If I just added a connector, do that.

Or perhaps click “+” to add new object, drag “+” to draw an arrow and quickly connect to another object.

2 Likes

Seems like I posted a duplicate here: Feature request: Connector mode - FigJam Beta / Feedback - Figma Support Forum

First about all - thanks for FigJam, works like a charm and is a really useful addition to Figma!

Since I have used it for flow-charts right away there is one thing that is bugging me:
If you create objects manually (and not continue with the (+) symbol) and want to connect them afterwards you have to select for each connector the connect-tool.

Suggestion - please give us a connector mode or let the connect-tool stay selected, so we can connect multiple objects after another quickly.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Right now I need to choose a side when connecting an arrow. Sometimes that’s necessary, as with the conventional diamond “choice” node in flow charts.

But sometimes it doesn’t actually matter which side the arrow connects to; it should just automatically connect to the nearest side. In Visio, this is done by dragging the connector to the middle of the shape rather than a particular “glue dot.”

Related: Why not Stay in Connector Mode?

Problems to solve: required hover and “Shift + C” repeated

1. Shift +C” to enter Connector Mode.
  2. Hover over a stic…

->…Wait, first, remember that you must hover over a sticky in order to see any connector nodes. Didn’t remember? Be stuck for a few seconds. Move your mouse. Try to remember. Happen to hover over a sticky? NOW you remember that requirement. Recover. Don’t become distracted writing a forum post about these woes. X^D)

1. Now that you’ve hovered & see the nodes, click & drag one.
  2. Drop it onto the target sticky.
  3. REPEAT STEPS #1-4 for every sticky. (Hopefully #2 takes less time this time.)

Solution: Connector Mode stays through multiple connections & always shows nodes

1. “Shift + C” to enter Connector mode. (not repeatedly)
  2. Click & drag one of the always-visible connector nodes
    Mimic prototype nodes: they’re visible without a hover.
  3. Drop it onto the target sticky.
  4. ONLY REPEAT 2 STEPS (#2-3).

Clarifications

• Make connector nodes always visible only while in Connector Mode. It both streamlines Connector Mode UX, and maintains a de-cluttered Edit Mode UI.

Options & Related:

• Option: connector nodes at a ~50% opacity but always visible (again, only in Connector Mode). Subtle, but existing & targetable. Upon hover, boost a node’s opacity to 100%. Or mimic prototype node styling.

• Related: “CMD + D” = duplicate & connect: dupe the original and connect the two. Anybody have related ideas to solve this? Duping contexts could differ.

• Related: Tab to select the next sticky.

Nice to see a conversation going on these fronts!

P.S. I’m loving Figma! It is impressive, and it’s a joy to use most of the time. Thumbs up!

I just discovered that this behavior is already available, but only when I add an object by using the little plus buttons from another node. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change a manually-drawn connector from its glued-on behavior to the “auto” behavior exhibited by plus-button-created nodes/connectors.

BTW, @Josh , I don’t know if this really is a duplicate. The OP was asking about a way to rapidly add connectors; I was asking about a way to add connectors that automatically choose which side they’re connected to. (Up to you, but just thought I’d call that out so nothing gets lost in the shuffle.)