Components and colors

Hi all - I’m using Figma to create t-shirt designs and mockups. I create components of the design which then of course auto-updates the mockups. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the color of the component on the mockups page? the components are made up of a simple 1 color graphic and same color text. I simply want to switch that from black to white for a mockup on a dark color t-shirt - the closest I can get is that the text color will change but not the graphic, even though I have them both in a component and well as grouped.

Any ideas? Still very much a noob but trying to learn!

Thanks!

Ted

Hey @Ted14, thank you for reaching out! Using Figma to design T-shirts is such a cool idea! Happy to help out with your issue.

Have I understand your issue correctly? You’ve tried to change the master component from black to white expecting that the instances change their color, but as a result you get only the text color to change and not the graphic?

Have you tried to select the relevant layer of your component in the layers panel and then change the color?

If there are many levels of nesting, you can use deep select to select a nested child layer or the top-level frame. Hold down the modifier key to select the top-level frame or a nested layer or object by clicking it on the canvas.

• Mac: ⌘ Command
  • Windows: Control

I would need to test this on my end, are you able to share a link to your file with me? You can invite support-share@figma.com directly as an editor (this won’t affect your billing at all). If you don’t feel like sharing your file link on the Forum feel free to DM me.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and thank you for the reply! I did invite the Figma email address to my file - is that sufficient? I can’t get there through the layers unless I’m missing something obvious.

Hey @Ted14 no worries, thanks I can take a look at your file if you share the file link with me under this post or via DM.