Component question: Embedded components and being able to use their properties at top level

I’ve been creating a bunch of components that are rather complex due to the nature of the project.

One of the things that I thought would be helpful to go back and forth between iterations during conversations about functionality, would be to have a nested component that can be toggled off and on at the top level.

Taking this beyond having to make a property for the top level component for the nested component states.

Anybody know if I’m missing this or it is just not a feature?

1 Like

This is not a feature, and why not is beyond me, afaik Sketch has had that for a long time. Although I think there’s plugins.

1 Like

It kinda sounds like you’re asking for boolean properties but maybe I’m misunderstanding the question.

Hey Lisa, great question, I’ve also grappled with this same thing. To directly answer your question: you’re not missing anything, this is not yet a feature. I’m emphasizing “yet” because I have a hunch that the new component properties feature announced at Config 2022 could be further developed to do this exact thing. We’ll have to see!

In the mean time, it seems the best way to achieve total control of a component’s composition without needing to deep-click to nested components is to build each variant manually. This is very tedious though, especially if you’re in an iterative stage of work where you’re just experimenting and trying ideas out (let me know if that’s not the case and I misunderstood your original post).

If you’re able to share an example of one of these components you’re struggling with and say more about “going back and forth between iterations during conversation about functionality” I’d love to understand that context better.

I think this hits it. Because I have been making the variants with all the true false properties. I was indeed trying to avoid the tedium. Hopefully this features emerges soon.

A strategy you might consider is using base components. Depending on what you’re building it might save you more time than using variants to handle every single configuration.

@Ridd recently posted this twitter thread about how this method of working is actually really well suited for times you’re exploring many different options and you need to iterate quickly.