Colour styles made up of two colour layers

Hey there,

I have a problem with managing colour styles that are a combination of two colour layers in Figma, but my developer needs a single colour value to use in code.

We create designs in Figma and hand off to devs using Zeplin.

We’re using a version of the Material Design Theme, and for example the colour style ‘surface3’ is actually made up of 100% of the ‘surface’ colour and another layer on top which is 11% of the primary colour. There’s an obvious good reason for it being like this.

When I export the object using the colour ‘surface3’ to Zeplin it has a single colour value in the code that is the correct value for the two combined colours, but it’s not a ‘style’ and would mean the dev hardcoding the value in the code, like this:

const baseComponent = {
  width: 312,
  height: 241,
  borderRadius: 28,
  backgroundColor: "#212a41"
};

But what we really want is this:

const baseComponent = {
  width: 312,
  height: 241,
  borderRadius: 28,
  backgroundColor: colors.M_3_SYS_DARK_SURFACE3
};

In this case backgroundColor is the correct value, but it’s not a colour style in Figma. In Figma it’s a combination of ‘surface’ and 11% of ‘primary’.

Does anyone know of a solution to this that will result in a new style for these Figma colour styles that use multiple colour values (without creating them manually each time)?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.