Can I use overlays across pages?

I created a component in Page 1. This component contains interactions to open overlays on click. Running the prototype in Page 1 shows the overlays working just fine.

Now in Page 2, I created an instance of that same component. Running the prototype on Page 2 does not enable interaction with the overlays defined in the component: Overlays don’t show up, and clicking in white space doesn’t highlight the overlay hot spots in blue. Other interactions in Page 2 work fine. Inspecting the hot spot items in the component instance in Page 2 does show that they are set up with the expected interaction settings.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is it even allowed to use overlays across pages like this? If not, would it be possible to add that capability, please?

3 Likes

This isn’t possible. You can vote for this suggestion: Create one prototype across the pages in a file

1 Like

It makes sense that the prototype is page-specific. Thank you for the quick response.

It is critical that overlays may be used across pages, here’s why. We have many reusable components that trigger overlays: header component and menu overlay, sign in button and modal, date field and picker overlay. These component live in a shared library, but then have to be used in production files. When we use components in prototypes the interactivity breaks. It is not feasible to relink every instance with its overlays. Please advise.

20 Likes