Can I export to folders without "/" naming?

I’m a design system library maintainer. We have our icon system in our library, and, for the sake of our sanity, we have our 500+ icons organized into categories. Putting each category into a frame works fine for publishing them in Figma for the designers to consume. However, when I export the symbols as SVGs for developers, the categories of the groups are lost. The only way to get SVGs to export into folders is to use “/” naming. The problem there, though, is that we lose all of the on-page organization – the icons have to be directly on the page, meaning you have to scroll through all 500+ layers to see them. Not ideal, especially when trying to alphabetize by category.

I thought that Groups didn’t get included in the published library path, but that appears not to be true. So if I categorize them into Groups and also have the “/” in the names, I end up with duplicate paths in the published library, i.e., “Category/Category/Icon Name”.

Can anyone suggest a better way to do this, or am I stuck putting all the symbols directly on the page?

1 Like

Ideally, I could organize them in Frames and still export to folders, because then I can use Auto-Layout to organize them, making it easier to add or remove icons.

There is an ongoing feature request for this: Option to NOT create subfolders when exporting assets There is no way to avoid this behavior currently.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood, but I believe Michael wants folders, he doesn’t want the “/” naming, which is opposite of the “NOT create subfolders” feature. I want the same.

A Figma Library might consist of a “Page” with several “Frames” that each contain several “Components” - it would be great if we could have a “Treat Frames as Folders” export option so everything could be exported at once instead of needed a separate export operation for each frame on the page.

1 Like

@Shawn_Kelly - Yep, that’s one solution. Another could be the ability to set persistent export metadata on components to determine where / how they get exported.

2 Likes