Apple Silicon (M1) support for Mac desktop app

I think people would appreciate if there was at least approximate time frame for M1 support release (like Q3 2021). @Figma

We’re working on this and hope to have support in the beta app soon! Stay tuned!

10 Likes

@Figma так, ребята, это не серьезно, когда будет поддержка для М1? может вы по-русски сможете ответить быстрее?))

1 Like

Any estimated release date?

1 Like

looks like they have no clue. It’s pretty astonishing case when paying users are waiting for software to catch up with M1 for 5 months. Saying ‘hope to have support in the beta app soon, stay tuned’ after 5 months of not shipping it, is totally useless information.

We’re paying users – give us what we pay for.

Зачем просить их отвечать по-русски?) Сообщением выше их менеджер написал, что работают и скоро выпустят бету

1 Like

Спасибо бро) чтоб мы без тебя делали!

1 Like

Edit: Official M1 support is here! See here: 🍎 Desktop App for Apple Silicon (M1) is here!

Hey everyone excited to share a beta for all you Apple Silicon users! The download link is in this thread here:

Make sure to post any issues or questions in that thread. Thanks!

18 Likes

Figma does not run as smooth as it once did back in the day. Compared to Apple Silicon native apps like Sketch it really lacks behind in performance and it’s not a smooth experience anymore, especially on large projects.

I really wish for a native app for Apple Silicon, now that it’s becoming the new norm and since most designers are on macOS anyways, I feel like it should be out of the question to develop/upgrade the current desktop app for the new systems running M1 chips (and upcoming chips).

2 Likes

Totally agree, my solution right now is to use it in browser but its def not ideal and a native app would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Figma for Apple Silicon is here!

4 Likes

Nice ! Runs even better than my temporary solution before (running Figma as isolated Chrome/Brave WebApp and thereby using the ARM architecture - Intel was still required though for the Font connector).

Yet this has been cool as well, as with an isolated Web App you are able to create multiple instances for multiple projects and from Apple Spotlight search find the Figma Workspace you want to work in right away (and pretty much everything else). Saves navigating in Figma itself and allows focussing on projects separately without always having 10 Tabs in Figma open. Maybe some valuable input for future product development.

Figma Agent still seems to be Intel on my end. Any info on that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need to download the app again, update via in-app updater doesn’t change it’s architecture. (Or it didn’t on my end)

yeah that totally did the trick. :smiley:

also as an added bonus, Figma Agent was still running even though I previously uninstalled Figma, so I made sure to Force Quit that in Activity Monitor. Now everything is running on Apple Silicon. Thanks :heart:

I’m unable to install on M1 mac, I’m getting this error after I move the app to applications folder
Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 1.36.36 PM

Can you check macOS Desktop app not installing - #4 by poiru

How is the performance on M1 Macs with 8GB of RAM?

Hi poiru, I was able to install figma by logging into administrator account. I’m actually on standard account, I can install most applications in standard account but for some reason I was unable to install Figma, it would never ask the admin uname & password and the installation would just fail.

Was able to fix it by logging into administrator account and installing it there. Not sure if this was Figma’s problem or Apple’s.

Hey @Josh,
How is this different from the Intel build? I’m asking this because I look in the Activity Monitor, Figma still has Intel under the Kind column. Moreover, on the download page, do you automatically identify what type of computer I have? Because there’s just one zip file.

Thanks!