Figma Support Forum

Adaptive Preview

Currently, the preview is locked to whatever dimension the design is (if your design is 1440, the prototype/preview will always bee 1440). This is fine if you’re designing for mobile, where the dimensions are largely fixed; however, it’s a nightmare for Web. Especially if you need to send the design for user testing or stakeholder feedback. If their screen dimensions are not exactly the same as the design, they won’t see an accurate representation.

The preview should be ADAPTIVE to the design’s constraints and layout behavior, or else what’s the point? Framer does this beautifully and has different preview options to allow for this.

Quick Note: This is NOT the same as ‘Responsive’ preview, where the design changes as you change the screen size.

2 Likes

If I understood well, normally the option scale down to fit width should do the trick, especially knowing that the configuration you make is reflected on the link you’ll generate later to share the prototype for user testing purposes, and so on.

2 Likes

@Steven Nope, that doesn’t work:

My design is 1440. MY screen is 1680. Macbook pro 2017.
Shared with CloudApp

What about the 100% Display then :thinking:

2 Likes

@Steven Nope. I’m telling ya, it’s just not something Figma does. Figma’s entire preview and sharing system needs to be redone. It’s the most limiting of all the design tools.

Shared with CloudApp

For reference, here is how Framer does it. As you can see, as you adjust the screen, the design respects the constraints and layouts.

3 Likes