Ability to make window less than 900px wide on macOS desktop

As far as I can tell it’s not possible to make a window narrower than 900px using the desktop app. Using Figma in a browser there is no such limitation - you can make the browser as narrow as you like and things still work fine. There doesn’t seem to be any good reason for this limitation.

Reason I want this:

I like to have two windows open for a file at all times, like in this tweet: https://twitter.com/figma/status/1230538344477540352?s=20&t=RmSEWgc2l25tHB1GZ3Nn0g. This is so that I can view the same project from multiple angles concurrently. An example is if I tweak a component’s spacing, I can see all the usages update in real time and decide based on real usage of the component (not possible if the component’s implementation is on a different page to it’s usage). However, due to the 900px limitation, the secondary window takes up far too much space for this to be useful. I use “command .” to hide all the UI so even in a narrow window there’s enough room to have a useful secondary view.

Workarounds

1. Use the web app instead
  2. Use desktop app for main window + have a browser window side by side, used just for viewing the project.

The second workaround (shown in the image) actually works quite well, but it’d be nicer to be able to not have to open a new browser winder and have to navigate to figma.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.